Sunday, February 15, 2009

One Week Out

So, it's Sunday, February 15th and we are officially one week away from our grand opening of The Well.  I'm full of mixed emotions and I feel like blogging will help me sort this out.  It's like the anticipation of your wedding day or the birth of a child.  This is what I've been waiting months for so of course I'm excited.  However, there's a huge weight of "foreverness" that I'm trying to work through.  Just as I believe marriage is forever, or the fact that you can't un-mother yourself, I feel that same kind of commitment to the mission of The Well.  God has most certainly called us to this and I cannot imagine doing anything else for the rest of my life.  I just can't seem to shake this tinge of fear in my heart.  Last night, Ricky mentioned that this would be our final Sunday we would have off for a very long time.  Why did he have to say that?!  It's thoughts like that which make me feel the way I do.  Next week will be so much fun and I can hardly wait for it.  But then what?  I want every Sunday to be like our opening day.  The harsh reality is that it typically isn't.  Just like having a baby, there are responsibilities that will have to be tended to:  diapers to change, mouths to feed, the baby always needing something of you (this analogy works really well!).  But the point isn't what this is going to require from me.  It's what it will require from God.  He's the One who can change a life.  He's the One who can meet the needs of each person that crosses our path.  We are simply an instrument.  So, if I'm selfishly worried about having to handle the hard things, I'll be selfishly pleased with getting the good things out of this.  That's not the kind of pastors God has called us to be.  Lesson learned:  take captive these thoughts and focus on the call to show the souls of this community Christ's authentic love.  
I knew blogging would help...

2 comments:

Casey said...

O my goodness AMY! I have had (and still have) all those thoughts from time to time. I was super scared/freaked out about the launch and whole church planting thing. I know exactly how the foreverness thing freaks you out. I think the same things and we totally had the "this is the last free day of our life" moment before we started. Its an amazing journey, but we are human and have the fears and excitment that goes along.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY we should get together. It is so great to have someone in the exact same place. I am praying for you and when it slows down, we will have to go out!

Tiffany Cooper said...

Amy, I am excited about your big weekend. I still treasure the memory of our very first Sunday at People's Church. Know that I will be praying for you and The Well tonight!