Thursday, July 3, 2008

Signs and Wonders

I have intended to post a blog sooner, but simply didn't have one. I battled a little with this one because it's sort of a theological issue and I'm no great theologian to say the least. However, I felt the need to share with you from my latest prayer journal entry:

I think I discovered something new (yet not really new) when I read Acts 3. It's when Peter and John are walking to the Temple and stop to help the crippled man at the gate. Peter didn't hesitate, didn't have a prayer time, didn't gather a bunch of others around--he just boldly came out and basically said, "In the name of Jesus, walk." And
the guy walked! I thought to myself, "why doesn't this happen anymore?" Then, I decided to read on and got what I believe is the answer. A crowd formed after the man was healed, so Peter took advantage of the opportunity to witness to them about Jesus. He began by asking, "why stare at us as if our power or piety made him walk?"
(Message) Peter knew it had nothing to do with him. He understood that no credit should be given to him, not even the one that says, "well, you still allowed God to use you." I think we're so quick to give ourselves or others at least a little credit for the things God does for us or through us. Maybe if He thought He could trust us to not have even
an ounce of that attitude in us, then perhaps we would see that happen.


If you're anything like me, you've been jaded (understatement!) by the hoopla of things like "healing services" or TV evangelists. I realize that I'm bothered the most by the fact that God is having to share His glory with man and, therefore, I doubt it's authenticity. I want to see miracles happen--the signs and wonders the Bible talks about. I want to see people that will let God use them to accomplish those things with no thought of themselves. I think God does too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey amy - i found your blog through summer. i just started one this week. add me please... www.allbecauseifellinlove.blogspot.com

we are on a journey together called motherhood & ministry! which is harder?!?!?! haha
misty